Thursday, March 21, 2013

Our First World Down Syndrome Day!

"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly" - Proverb


Today is World Down Syndrome Day, and therefore the perfect time for me to re-enter the blogosphere. Today is meant to create awareness about Ds, including teaching real facts, sharing stories about actual people, and helping eliminate offensive or outdated language.


As a recently new mother of a beautiful daughter with Down syndrome, I still have a lot to learn about this wonderful community...actually, I should say family. The most important thing I already know for sure though, is that my baby girl is just that above all else, a baby girl!

I am not going to lie, from the time I learned of Piper's diagnosis until the moment she was born, I thought more about all the potential issues of Down syndrome than the joys of being a mom. Of course it is natural to worry, but there were times when I felt I wasn't going to be able to handle a "special needs" child. I felt like Down syndrome was going to consume my world, and always be the foremost of my thoughts.

The moment I held Piper Grace in my arms, however, my entire paradigm of raising a child with Down syndrome changed. I couldn't beleive that the only thing I saw when holding her, was the most gorgeous little angel I ever laid my eyes on. She was perfect, extra chromosone and all.



So in honor of this day, please take a few minutes of your time to visit some of the links below.

The official site of WDSD, where there are many beautiful stories about individuals with Down syndrome: WDSD

Provides some insight about preferred language when referring to people with Down syndrome: Preferred Language Guide

This touching video was shared with me by a friend shortly after I learned of Piper's diagnosis: 

A video that has been circulating the news and social media as of lately:

And of course, here are some pictures of my beautiful baby girl, Piper Grace:










No comments:

Post a Comment