Thursday, September 20, 2012

Heart of the Matter

Walking into my most recent doctor’s appointment all I could think was, “What if he sees something wrong? Will my baby need to have open heart surgery? Will she be okay….? Will her heart be strong enough for her to make it full-term and through delivery?”

Cause for Concern


Now I wasn’t just being crazy and worrying for no reason. After finding out my daughter’s diagnosis, I started looking up all the information I could as what it (Down syndrome) would actually mean for her life. Sadly, most of what I knew about Down syndrome is what I learned from TV shows. I knew certain physical characteristics such as upward slanted eyes and shorter statures, and of course I was aware of the developmental delays. The more I read, the more concerned I became. Not about the challenges of raising a child with DS, but about her health in general.

One of the more serious issues she could possibly face is a heart defect. Approximately 50% of all children with Down syndrome have some type of heart problem, the most common being an AV canal defect (atrioventrucular septal defect). This is basically a hole in the heart between two of the chambers, an atria and a ventricle. Holes can occur in other places within the heart as well, and each is termed differently (ASD, or atrial septal defects; VSD, or ventricular septal defect; and PSD, or patent ductus arteriosus). The treatment depends on the size of the hole. Children may need surgery, or if the defect is minor then it is monitored as the hole may close on its own.

Since my doctors are well aware of the possible congenital heart problems associated with Down syndrome, they are doing all they can to determine prenatally if there are any complications. Around 16 weeks, I had an appointment for a Level 2 ultrasound, where they looked at all my baby’s anatomy in detail to ensure everything is developing as it should be. More importantly they were looking at the heart for any indications of problems. As I revealed in the opening sentence of this post, I can’t even begin to describe how nervous I was walking into that appointment. I knew so much of my daughter’s future could be based on what the doctor saw that day.

The Appointment


So there I was, laying on the table with my shirt pulled up. The technician came in and squeezed a blob of blue goo onto my little bump. Within seconds, I saw my little peanut up on the screen. I was simply amazed at the sight and was filled with “warm fuzzies". I tried my best to keep those feelings and not let my nervousness overtake me as she started the diagnostic portion of the ultrasound. She did some of the same wiggling, clicking, and measuring that she did at my 12 week appointment, but this time her reactions were much more what I had been hoping for. The arms and legs were proportionally as they should be. There were ten fingers and ten toes. There were two itty bitty kidneys. The facial structure was developing normally. Then she zoomed in for a look at my little girl’s heart, and I could see the tiny muscle pumping away. It looked beautiful to me, but of course I had no idea what a defect would look like.

I glanced at the technician, but she had a poker face this time and I could not gauge by her reaction what she was seeing. She gently excused herself, and momentarily returned with the doctor. He scooted the stool over to the table where I was laying and picked up the little wand that determined so much of the future. The wiggling commenced and soon he was zoomed in on the heart. He clicked a couple times, froze the picture, and began to explain what was on the screen. The doctor pointed out the valves in the heart, and noted that they fully touched each other during this point of the heart beat (which the image was paused on). That was a great thing!!
 


Pippa at 16 weeks

 Sigh of Relief


Based on the ultrasound, the chances of a major heart defect are greatly reduced. The doctor reminded me that the heart is still quite small, and they weren’t able to see everything yet. I will have one of these detailed ultrasounds at every appointment (about once a month), and around 24 weeks the doctor will perform a fetal echo in order to listen for any murmurs that may not be visible on the ultrasound. Although there is still a possibility that my baby’s heart will have an issue, I know I will be much less nervous walking into these future appointments. The bright side to all these appointments is that I have the opportunuity to see my little nugget every time!

No comments:

Post a Comment