Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Dreaded Elastic Waistband

I don’t know about you, but the thought of elasticized waistbands make me shudder. It may be a bit silly, but the large, expandable panels of maternity clothing were another reason I never wanted children. This by no means was a deciding factor, and had more to do with the thought of a pregnant belly in general. It just seemed so…..creepy (stretched out skin and protruding belly button = gross)!

Note this is NOT my belly..... but how freaky (and maybe a little bit amazing) is that foot print!?

It is a little less weird now that I am actually experiencing it myself, and I realize this sacrifice of my body will be totally worth it. Nonetheless, this awareness does not help the limited fashion options I am suddenly left with.

It also seems that maternity clothes are so expensive for something I will only wear for a few months. Though my mother may beg to differ, I am actually quite frugal when it comes to spending money on clothes. Don’t get me wrong…..I will splurge on certain items, but only practical things such as a pair of jeans that will make me “bootylicious”.

Elastic-paneled pants do not have that effect, which is exactly why I don’t want to drop half a paycheck on a new wardrobe. Unfortunately I will have to start buying some maternity clothes soon. My regular clothes are almost unwearable, even with the tricks I’ve been using, such as:

  • The hair tie trick – In order to maximize the time I could wear my normal pants, I have taken a hair tie and looped it over my pant button, through the button hole, and back onto the button. Adds an extra inch or two to the waistband!

  • Belly Bands – I purchased a couple belly bands and they were the best investment ever! It is basically an elastic panel/tube that you can pull up over your unbuttoned pants to keep them up and smooth everything out.

  • Flowy Dresses - I have always loved a nice dress, and lately there has been even more reason to wear them. They are the perfect way to be comfortable, and I don't feel as slovenly with a pretty frock on.

So it looks like it is time to go shopping! I discovered an awesome second-hand store that recently opened here in Charlotte, Clothes Mentor. Unlike many consignment shops, they actually have a maternity section.....score! I bought a few items while there with some friends, but I definitely will be returning to see if they have any new stock.



At the very least, now I know a place I can sell any new clothes I purchase after little Pippa is born!

2 comments:

  1. Here are some more resources for maternity clothes
    http://www.zulily.com
    Old Navy has GREAT deals! If you are planning on nursing, you may want to kill two birds with one stone and invest in some maternity/nursing tanks, because you will end up having to buy the nursing tanks anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, thanks! I have actually bought a couple maternity dresses from Zulily, but I always forget to check it everyday for the new deals!

    ReplyDelete