Friday, September 14, 2012

Why My Daughter Will Have a Fluffy Bum

Sometime last year, a coworker of mine told me how he and his wife recently decided to start cloth diapering their three month old son. Immediately I thought of the white square cloths all folded and pinned, and thought this was ridiculous way to diaper a child in this day and age. My colleague surely saw the look of surprise and confusion on my face, because he promptly began to defend the decision.

He told me the main reason was due to a persistent diaper rash that wouldn’t heal, no matter what remedy was tried. They settled on trying cloth diapers after exploring the options and talking with fellow parents. He also began to tell me all about the “modern” styles of cloths diapers. I only half listened since I had no intention of ever needing that information, but I did hear enough to learn that cloth diapers aren’t what they used to be. That and cloth diapers give his son a fluffy bum.

Fast forward to now.....and suddenly I am in my coworker’s position and explaining my decision to cloth diaper my little girl on the way. As I progressed in my pregnancy and started to think of all the upcoming decisions I would have to make about parenting (there are so many!), I recalled the conversation between my coworker and I. Without hesitation I fired up the Google search engine to see if cloth diapers were as great as he made them sound. Anyone that knows me can tell you that I will research the heck out of anything before I make a decision; I am simply not comfortable without some good, hard empirical evidence. What I found was both surprising and convincing. For me it came to three major reasons, which I will briefly touch on.

 

 Number 1: Cost Savings.


Anyone who has children (and even those that don’t) know children are expensive. One of the major expenses in the first couple years of life are diapers. Of course there are a few variables to consider, but based on the information I found $2,000 is a conservative average for money spent on diapers from birth to potty training.
Compare that to cloth diapers. The cheapest option will cost you about $250, and the most expensive option can run about $800. You should also figure the cost of washing all these diapers, which I have seen calculated around $400. Right off the bat you can see a see a cost savings of anywhere from $750 to $1,350!

It should also be considered that well taken care of cloth diapers have great resale value. Depending on the type of cloth diaper and the condition, they can be sold for 50-75% of the original price. Again being conservative, that would be an additional $125 to $400 savings. On the other hand, if you have a second child then you already would have all the diapers you need……that would be an instant $2000 savings!

Number 2: Chemicals in Disposables.


I wouldn’t consider myself hippie by any means, but something about this pregnancy has made me especially conscious of all the chemicals we are exposed to in everyday life. I have become a lot more interested in natural options and any alternatives to super-processed and mass produced items. As far as disposable diapers go, I had never thought much about the chemicals they contain or those that were used to manufacture them. I am not trying to imply that anything about them is dangerous, only that there is a lot of stuff I can’t pronounce that goes into them.

It is not uncommon for parents to being changing their little one’s diaper and find a whitish goo everywhere, only to realize it is the absorbent gel from the diaper. You know, the same type of gel that come inside those little packets in shoeboxes that say “DO NOT EAT”. (Side note: Remember that episode of Seinfeld where Kramer dropped one of those silica gel packets in the salsa at the clothing store?) Anyway, I don’t particularly like the idea of something like that being in contact with my baby girl’s skin.

 

Number 3: The Environment.


Environmental reasons can partly be related to above. I touched on mass production and the chemicals used in diapers, and I can only assume the processes used to make disposables cause some waste and pollution. I am not going to get into too much detail on this topic, as I really haven’t looked up the actual byproducts or such of diaper-making production. Therefore anything I say is pure speculation, but it seems like a reasonable assumption.

What is not a not an assumption, however, are the millions of diapers sitting in landfills. Since the outer liner is made of plastic, it will take a disposable at least 500 years to decompose. Considering all the babies getting changed every minute, that’s a lot poop! (Well, I guess the poop itself would biodegrade, so really it’s just a lot of garbage). Either way, I do my best to reduce my footprint and keep our earth clean. Choosing cloth diapers is just another way of doing so.

Now believe me when I say I am aware that cloth diapers are a little more work and effort. I understand that poop is stinky and messy, and that rinsing off a cloth diaper isn’t exactly a picnic. That doesn’t bother me though, because I realize that sometimes the best choices may not necessarily be the most convenient. A simple metaphor: Just because stopping at McDonald’s for dinner is quick and easy and doesn’t make a mess of your kitchen, it doesn’t make it better than a nice home-cooked meal.

On that note (comparing poop to food), I think I’ve said enough until the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment