Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The "R-Word"

You may have missed it, but in the news recently was this tweet made by Ann Coulter (see below) and the response from Special Olympian John Franklin Stephens. This really got me thinking about the use of the word “retard” in today’s society.

 
 
While I am not defending Ann’s comment or saying she wasn’t wrong in her choice of words, part of me wonders her actual intention in the phrase. Stop and think for a minute about how often you hear people (regretfully myself included) saying, “Oh, I am such a retard; I did blah, blah, blah wrong,” or “That assignment the teacher gave us is so retarded!”
 
This interchangeable use of the R-word for something we perceive as silly, stupid, or of the like, has become extremely pervasive in the vocabulary of today’s generation. Heck, even the Black Eyed Peas made a very popular song called “Let’s Get Retarded” (later retitled to the more radio friendly “Let’s Get it Started”).
 
Thinking about the aforementioned song, what is the underlying message? Simply, the BEPs are using “retarded” as a synonym for (extremely) intoxicated or going all out crazy /partying. These actions are characterized by a disregard and ignorance of consequences, incoherence, low coordination, and flat out inane behavior. Therefore, it can be reasoned that the BEPs are saying that people considered medically “retarded” have those characteristics. I doubt that the song writers purposefully intended to make fun of the cognitively impaired, but isn’t that exactly what the song does?
 
One can argue that it is just a figure of speech; that it is only slang. Those excuses are only half true, however, because it while it is slang it is also a form of hate speech. This might seem like an extreme assertion at first, but consider the definition of the term:
 

Hate Speech is, outside the law, communication that vilifies (belittles, criticizes, etc.) a person or a group on the basis of color, disability, ethnicity, gender, nationality, race, religion, sexual orientation, or other characteristics” -From Wikipedia.
 
To me that pretty much describes the use of the R-word in today’s culture, which unfortunately has become so common that no one stops to think of the group it is disrespecting and demeaning. Intentional or not, it is a put-down to the intellectually disabled.
 
As I mentioned above, I have been guilty of using the R-word many times myself, and therefore I am not intending to criticize everyone that uses the term. I merely want to share my thoughts about something that I never took the time to consider until the issue hit close to home.
 
 
 
 
Honestly, deep down I have always known it (the R-word) wasn’t appropriate, considering I knew to filter my choice of words while in a professional setting. Regrettably I wasn’t so careful about using the term around other people. I look back and wonder how many people I might have inadvertently hurt by using the R-word, and wish I could apologize.
 
My hope for the future is that more people realize the hurt certain words can cause, even if they don’t mean them to. I will have to be an advocate for my daughter as well as help her become her own self-advocate. Does this mean I will call people out when I hear them use the R-word slangily? Maybe, maybe not…I suppose it depends on the situation.
 
What it does mean is I will at the very least modify my own language, and this is not limited to the R-word.

(Gay is another commonly used word used in a similar way).



 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment