Monday, November 12, 2012

You Can't Do That! (the Pregnancy "No-Nos" I Miss Most)

There are many joys that come with pregnancy, such as.....

The amazing love you feel for the little bean growing inside of you.
If you are lucky, your skin will get the wonderful “pregnancy glow”.
Your hair will most likely become luscious and thick, and your nails will be stronger than ever before.
As your baby bump becomes more evident, you will put a smile on a stranger’s face, and you will beam as they ask you questions about your due date, if you are having a boy or girl, etc.
You will celebrate this miracle with your closest family and friends, and you will oooh and ahhhh together over the teeny tiny baby clothes received at your shower.
 
Yes, there are many joys of pregnancy.
 
There are also many things you have to give up. And those things suck. Here is a list of the things I miss the most:

  • Caffeine – This sacrifice has been the toughest, because I love my coffee bold and strong in the mornings. I still wake up craving Stabucks’ Italian roast made in my French press, but instead I unsuccessfully attempt to fool my body and taste buds with a decaffeinated blend. (FYI, some studies suggest up to 200 mg of caffeine will not harm your baby. Admittedly, I have had an occasional cup of regular….but I do believe it is best to just avoid caffeine altogether).
My morning love
 
  • Alcohol – First of all I miss wine….there is nothing like a nice full-bodied cabernet sauvignon or a smooth malbec after a long day at work. Of course, let’s not forget beer, specifically, an IPA that is more bitter than a woman who was left by her husband of 20 years for a young, buxom blonde and more hoppy than Easter.

  • Sushi – Spicy tuna rolls have never sounded more delicious. Fresh, melt in your mouth yellow fin tuna…Need I say more?

  • Hot Yoga – I used to love attending classes with my favorite girls, but this is another pregnancy no-no (along with any other vigorous exercise), since it raises your body temperature and heart rate significantly. Also, non-prenatal yoga classes such as the ones I was attending often involve:
    • balancing poses (which should be avoided due to the risk of falling),
    • deep abdomen stretches and exercises (which should be avoided since ligaments relax during pregnancy and there is risk of pulling/straining muscles),
    • lying on the back poses (which should be avoided for prolonged period due to pressure from your enlarged uterus and fetus on the vena cava, a vein that returns blood to the heart ),
    • and lying on the stomach poses (which are obviously pretty much impossible with a pregnant belly).
 

Wheel Pose

  • Deli Meat – I would kill for an Italian sub right now, or a ham and cheese on white bread, or a turkey club. Unfortunately, I can't due to the risk of listeria (which is funny, because every outbreak I've heard of recently has been related to produce, NOT deli meat!)


  • Stomach Sleeping– I guess this isn’t something that is necessarily “against the rules”, but simply becomes impossible as your belly grows. Up until about 16 weeks I was still able to sleep in my normal position, but now I have been resorted to side sleeping, supported by a heap of pillows.
 
My pre-pregnancy sleeping position

  • Pepto Bismol – Some of the many glorious side effects of pregnancy are indigestion, nausea, and heartburn. Pepto would be the perfect cure, except it is not recommended for pregnant women…. Go figure!

  • Runny Eggs – I am usually a scrambled eggs girl, but every once in a while I crave something like Huevos Rancheros…..with yummy, oozy, over-easy eggs. But due to the risk of salmonella, I am not supposed to indulge in this over the border delight.


I think that about sums up my list of lamentations. Is there something I didn't mention that you missed while pregnant?

4 comments:

  1. I missed running!!! I thought that would be in your list, lol. I continued my pilates/yoga classes until my due date! I had a really cool wedge pillow that I used, so I wouldnt be lying flat on my back..and skipped the stomach poses. Cat/cows can help get your baby in position....oh and I fulfilled my sushi cravings with california rolls ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always been very sporadic in my running.... and I happened to get pregnant at a time that I wasn't running too much so I didn't miss it too much :)

      I have continued some yoga in my living room, but I had to stop going to the studio I was a member at since it was hot yoga.... the room typically was around 100 degrees and VERY humid. Pretty much a sauna, which is obviously not good when you are preggers.

      As far as sushi goes, California rolls are good but still just not the same!

      Delete
  2. I'm seriously surprised running is on the list. Runners' World regularly profiles elite and amateur runners who run throughout their pregnancies, citing the benefits and doctors' support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you were a runner before getting pregnant, it is fine to continue running as long as you don't overexert yourself and keep your heartrate within a certain zone.

      It is just not recommended to start any new workout routine, running or otherwise.

      Delete